goa resorts

Goa’s Top Touristic Sites (2020)

Chapora Fort

 

The Chapora Fort is located in North Goa at a distance of 19km from the stand of Panjim Kadamba Bus, 46km from the station, and 11km from Mapusa. It’s one of Goa’s top tourist destinations.

 

The fort has steep slopes on either side, built into red laterite blocks, and stands on an outer irregular surface. The King of Bijapur, Adil Shah, built this huge fort. It was called Shahpura, which is the ‘Sha city’ for this reason. One of the main attractions in Goa is the Chapora Fort.

 

The castle was built to watch Hindu raiders who wanted to establish their territories in Goa. After Adil Shah’s rule, the fort was demolished and restored by the Portuguese on the site of an old Muslim structure in 1617. The Portuguese troops came to the commander Sambhaji in 1684, but the local people were not too happy with that and hence were forced to surrender Marathas.

 

Shri Shantadurga Temple – Kavlem

 

In north Goa, 28 km from the Panjim Kadamba Bus Stand, 34 km from the Vasco Da Gama Railway Station, and 20 km away from Margao Railway Station is the Shri Shantadurga Temple.

 

The temple Shri Shantadurga is a massive temple at the base of Kavlem, Ponda Taluka town. This temple is known as one of Goa’s largest and most important temples. This temple is dedicated to the goddess of peace, Shantadurga. The god is also informally known as ‘Santeri.’ Legend has it that Shiva and Vishnu have been battling intensely for Lord Brahma to be interceding with Parvati, in the form of Shantadurga. Shantadurga placed Vishnu to her right and Shiva to her left and settled the war. It is seen that the deity of Shantadurga holds two snakes, which represent Vishnu and Shiva in each hand. This avatar, known as Shree Shantadurga Devi, was made by Shree Jagdamba Devi who came to make the peace between Shree Vishnu and Shree Shiva.

 

Church of St. Augustine / St. Augustine Tower

 

The Vasco Da Gama Railways station (27 km) and Mapusa Monastery, Augustinian Church and Monastery are located in Old Goa, 8 km from Panjim Kadamba Bus Stand. It is one of Goa’s main tourist attractions. This is a UNESCO World Patrimony Site (Churches & Convents of Goa).

 

In 1572, when they arrived in Goa city, the church and monastery of Saint Augustine were founded by 12 Augustine. The foundation of the church in 1602 AD was completed. Besides the church, they also constructed a convent. The Portuguese government imposed an embargo on the Augustines. Afterward, the church and the convent were abandoned.

 

The 46 m high ruins of the Bell Tower are visible from a distance without the bell, attracting tourists. The four-story arched tower was designed in a laterite direction east of the church. This tower is one of St. Augustine’s four buildings.

 

Church of St. Augustine / St. Augustine Tower

 

In 1572, when they arrived in Goa city, the church and monastery of Saint Augustine were founded by 12 Augustine. The foundation of the church in 1602 AD was completed. Besides the church, they also constructed a convent. The Portuguese government imposed an embargo on the Augustines. Afterward, the church and the convent were abandoned.

 

The 46 m high ruins of the Bell Tower are visible from a distance without the bell, attracting tourists. The four-story arched tower was designed in a laterite direction east of the church. This tower is one of St. Augustine’s four buildings.

 

Shri Mahalaxmi Temple – Bandora

 

Shri Mahalaxmi Temple is located in North Goa, at a distance of 27 Kilometers from the Panjim Kadamba bus station, 37 Kilometers from the Vasco da Gama railway station, and 22 kilometers. This is an important pilgrimage site for the Hindus and one of the most visited locations of Goa.

 

The temple of Bandora or Bandivade has located about 4 km from Ponda, in the Village of Shri Mahalaxmi. This church is dedicated to Mahalaxmi, the consort of Lord Vishnu. The temple is known as the original deity’s home to the Shakti cult, and the Devi wears linga on his head as its special attribute. The Machalaxmi idol is very similar to Mahalaxmi’s idol at Kolhapur with 4 arms holding a sickle, a club, a dagger, and a boat containing prasad and flowers. There was another idol of the Devi made of panchaloha, in addition to the major black granite stone idol. It is one of the largest galleries of wood in the Sabhamandap, comprised of 18 pictures, out of 24 images of emanatory aspects of the Bhagavata sect.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

The Crew Review